Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Religon & Politics



Dear Christians,

Some days I am embarrassed to be a Christian. Please hear me out. Not because of Jesus, but because of those who say they are His people. It is easy to point out others flaws and that is not the point of what I am writing.

In light of all the recent news about going to war with Syria, we are going to be seeing a lot of people spouting off their views on facebook. That is fine, I guess? 

Anyways, I write this as someone who follows Jesus as well. My views may not be as popular in the church. That is fine. We don’t need the same political views to follow the same Lord. There are more important things to me than your political party.

I am asking you as a Christian to not post any HATEFUL remarks about people who vote different than you. God does not vote one way or another. Secretly, I believe Jesus votes as I do. I know that is crazy. (I'm joking, calm down) I know we are all humans and cannot help our crazy thoughts. But, you can help spreading the hate. If you are a Christian, please do not put out hateful messages. That is the opposite of what our Lord stands for. 

He calls us to die to ourselves and love our neighbor. Love is the most important thing, not who we vote for. I believing having your own opinion is VERY important. Yet, I think respecting others opinion is even more important. Someone is not an idiot for thinking differently than you.

I don’t know if anyone will read this or care. I just have to say something. We are living representations of Jesus Christ. No wonder people are so turned off by the church. Our reputation is bad. Let's listen to our God and STOP judging and START loving. Let's show our love in our actions. That is how this world is going to change. We are human and fall short, but if we choose to love above all else I believe people will be able to see the Lord in us no matter how broken we are.

Your words are very powerful. You are bringing love or hate into this world. Be careful about what you are choosing to say. I hope you know I am not judging you. I mess up all the time. I am just afraid of people being pushed away from Jesus so I feel like I had to write something.

Thank you!

Let these quotes challenge you:

“The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians: who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.” - Brennan Manning


"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire


“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King Jr. 


To my friends who are not Christians,
Please forgive us for constantly falling short of our call. We let our way get in the way of what God truly wants. We are not supposed to be known as hateful people. We are supposed to be the most accepting people in the world. Don’t let our shortcomings block you off from Christ. No Christian is ever perfect, only God. You are loved by God no matter what!!!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastically written Megan. You are so correct. Our love as Christians must extend to those of opposite political beliefs and our actions, not our words, should be our testimony. Here's another good quote for you:

    Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words. -Francis of Assisi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is sweet Megan!! Helpful, encouraging, something everyone (including myself) needs to think about and be aware of. This can be applied to everyday life and to so many situations. Aligning principles and morals to ACTION is what living (to me) is all about!

    ReplyDelete