Monday, October 14, 2013

Rejecting Jesus


Jesus left that part of the country and returned with his disciples to Nazareth, his hometown.  The next Sabbath he began teaching in the synagogue, and many who heard him were amazed. They asked, “Where did he get all this wisdom and the power to perform such miracles?”  Then they scoffed, “He’s just a carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon. And his sisters live right here among us.” They were deeply offended and refused to believe in him.
 Then Jesus told them, “A prophet is honored everywhere except in his own hometown and among his relatives and his own family.”  And because of their unbelief, he couldn’t do any miracles among them except to place his hands on a few sick people and heal them.  And he was amazed at their unbelief.

Mark 6:1-6

 


A lot of time I think it's easy for us to blame God. If God is good why...

-is there pain?
-is there world hunger?
-do we have to experience death?
-doesn't he stop and intervene?

You know the normal doubts I'm sure we've all battled. If you haven't I might be concerned... "He who does not weep does not see." How do we make sense of the harsh realities of life? Jesus is the most important thing in my life and I love him so much, but I still find myself hung up on all the hurt around me.

I'm not by any means saying I have answers. I don't even know if they are out there, because I'm pretty sure a God that makes complete sense to us would cease being God. Just like we'll never completely understand His love. There are alot of mysteries but we get to grow in trust. 

When I read about the people's unbelief it make me stop to think. This part of the bible shows how truly important our choices are. They impact the way God can or can't work in our lives. 

Maybe these people were too familiar with Jesus. He was from their hometown. Maybe we are too use to hearing about this God. We don't take into account what He can actually do in our lives. 

I know this is true because of my prayers when I didn't know God. I was so desperate for God to be real but I couldn't trust Him. Every day I would pray, as my ex sponsor Ren directed me, "God, if you are real reveal yourself to me."

He has answered that prayer. I think sometimes we sell ourselves short. Jesus was still able to heal a few sick people but he could have done so much more. God will work in this world no matter what. But, what could he do if your choices weren't holding him back?

There are struggles I have that I am so use to having that I don't always see the point in surrendering them. The more I let God in the more I will move. In His perfect love & wisdom, he never forces His will upon us. True love gives you a choice. 

I read this today and got sad because I don't want to make choices that block God from working in my life. The choices can never stop Him from loving me, but I can miss out on what God has in store for me which is always so much better than anything I could have planned. Am I choosing a life of self will or God's will?

There is always room to grow. I share this today to encourage you to invite God into those places. I imagine Jesus "amazed at their unbelief" because he knows all he could do. What could Jesus do in your life if you completely surrendered to him?



“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”
C S Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment