Sunday, November 24, 2013

What I'm reading #3

Book Review #3

Stitches by Anne Lamott

I remember the first time I started reading a book by Anne. I opened up Bird by Bird and all my afternoon plans suddenly got canceled. It was a Sunday and I literally ended up not leaving my room all day. The words she wrote were filled with compassion, love, and humor. All her books seem to be that way and they deliver what I believe is the most important message a book can contain: you are not alone.

When I found out that she had a new book coming out I immediately went to Amazon and pre-ordered it and began to count down the days until it would be mine.

Most people agree the most powerful thing about Anne's writing is her transparency and willingness to write about things everyone else chooses to ignore.

The book starts off "It can be too sad here. We so often lose our way." She began writing after the Newtown shootings and bravely faced the question: What is the meaning in the suffering?



The book doesn't promise easy answers. Which I love.. Anne never minimizes the suffering we face. She teaches us how to focus on what matters. The present, right now, trying to help one another. The biggest gift we can offer one another is grace. We can help each other stitch our lives together stitch by stitch. It's simple and God is in the details. We show up for another and love. We don't have to be God and try to solve each others problems. We don't have to pretend everything is ok when it's not. Our job is to love.

Her book is poetic and  an easy read. I sneakily read it at work that day and finished it the next morning. Don't let it's small size fool you. Her words carry a lot of truth and healing for a hurting world. This book is a way to find compassion and hope in the midst of the pain that goes along with being human.

I loved it all but I'd have to say my favorite chapter was chapter two the overly sensitive child. 

Anyone would benefit from reading this book. If you read it will make your life richer. You will be in tears on some pages and then laughing in others. When ever I read Anne books in public locations I expect strange glares as most of her books make me do both.

Have you read Stitches? What are your thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment