Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sunflowers




I am a firm believer in buying yourself flowers, although my room mates would be quick to argue that it is a red flag that screams future cat lady. I disagree.

For so long I depended on other people to make me happy. For so long I depended on my circumstances to bring me joy. But, God is teaching me something new. How to be content with the right now, and that so much of my life is going to be based on my perspective. 

This morning at work I kept thinking... i have to be at work. But, then I stopped and thought about all the things I love about my job and the fact that I'm in good enough health to even be working, and taking care of myself. My attitude changed to i get to work. Thank you God. I could start to see everything as a gift. That one gift leads to another. My health gives me the ability to work. The gift to walk, to run, to see. The basic things I take for granted each day. 

I am too damn sensitive and a lot of days I think life is too hard. And, it is hard. I believe we live in this broken world. We are so desperate for God down here. But, in spite of all that there is beauty surrounding us. There are gifts every where. When I put my focus on all those things my heart fills up with joy and love... and God.

My challenge to you is to go through today with eyes wide open to all the good things in your life.


It could change everything. 


And..... sometimes I try to be grateful and pray and I still feel like crap. I try to trust that God loves me anyways and buy myself some flowers.



“Joy does not simply happen to us. We have to choose joy and keep choosing it every day.” Henri Nouwen

And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.  Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:8-9

 

No comments:

Post a Comment