Monday, May 20, 2013

2013 so far (reminders)


You know that feeling you get right before January? The excitement you feel as you try to decide on a resolution. Or for me resolutions. I think New Years brings to light the fact that we are all dying to be made new. Well this past year I shared at Sanctuary about how I believe this is exactly what Jesus offers us every day.

I wanted to cancel New Years Resolutions in order to create New Year Reminders. I mean I don't know how long of a tradition the whole resolutions thing is... but seriously, how defeating. Let's end that whole thing. Resolutions seem to demand perfection. Like ok now I work out and eat vegetables.. I mean it's May, are you still at the gym every day? 

On the other hand, I don't know what makes me think I have the power to cancel this tradition. I'm a crazy person.

There's a reason I'm writing this. I believe in reminders not resolutions. Maybe I'm getting hung up on words, possible. I over think things.

Well anyways, I like the concepts of reminders. I need to be reminded each day of how loved I am by God. I really do forget. I get distracted and before you know it I am doing things my way again, talking about God but not really walking with Him. Running around like a little monster trying to control things. I needed to be reminded of His truths again and again.

I wrote a list of reminders and I have them taped next to my bed so I can see them every morning when I wake up. There are a few quotes (one tree hill quotes of course... judge me, it's inspiring) And instead of a ton of resolutions I never kept, I have reminders. Because I know I fail. But as Brennan says, failure can't be an excuse to quit trying. I love that Jesus is so concerned with the conditions of our hearts. I love that he never gets sick of me & that He promises to never give up on me. I am a work in progress to put it a nicely. A mess. His love never gives up. I love that I'm not stuck with me- my craziness, my dysfunction. I have someone who can fix the broken parts of me.

Despite a lot of difficulty 2013 has been one of the best years of my life because of God. I wish I could put into words all that has happened. I feel free for the first time and my life. After so much of God's healing in my life forgiveness is finally a reality for me. God keeps showing up in my life as I keep showing up asking Him to work in it. Parts of me that I didn't think would ever heal are healing. I have been very intentional with my reminders & I'm in awe of what God has done.

It is amazing what He can do with the little we give Him. If you are reading this I ask you to remember that feeling you have January 1st. You know it is a chance to start over. You know it can be whatever you want it to be. Jesus is asking us to come to Him, now exactly where we are in life, with all our flaws & all our brokenness. I love that. We come to God as we are. No need to play pretend with Him, we can be our real self. He loves us with all our mixed motives and ugly parts we hope no one can see. He works with us patiently in our lives. His love will heal you. (That is one of my reminders.) Let Him heal you and guide you in the rest of this year. Each day is a chance to be new. Jesus thank You for giving us that. 


What do you need healing from? 
What are you running to that keeps you from God? Let's give up these vices that are cheap imitations of God's love.   
What are the crazy things your head tells you? What are the lies that run your life, that feeling of not being good enough that haunts you. Maybe feeling unwanted.
Or maybe there is something you really want to do that fear always holds you back from. A dream you have but you never take the action with it. 

Today can be the day where you become new again. It won't be easy, but nothing that is worth it is. God promises to never leave us & His love is a patient love that will never give up on you. Trust Him & things will change. 

“For me to be a saint means to be myself. Therefore the problem of sanctity and salvation is in fact the problem of finding out who I am and of discovering my true self.” Thomas Merton



& Maybe the only reason you read this was to be reminded that God really does love you exactly as you are. (I need to hear that one a lot) 

1 comment:

  1. Meggy!

    I loved this post. I so often need to be reminded of, well, so many things. I loveeee the freshness and blank page quality of a new year, but that new beginning feeling can be any day, through the grace of God.

    You are inspiring my little boo bear! :)

    xo meg

    ReplyDelete