Wednesday, May 15, 2013

throwing stones

Today I was reading this new book. It is rare that I branch out from my beloved authors. BUT I was feeling brave today. 

I started reading this book about youth ministry. As a young life leader this obviously interests me. I thought some of the ideas were obvious. The rest of what I read was refreshing and brought me back to the heart of what I do. I was really enjoying it.

Then I see he started to mention Young Life. I was so excited..... I thought they were going to say how we practice what he was talking about because I felt like we were on the same page. My heart was in line with everything he had previously said. The book quickly began bashing Young Life as a whole. (This is why I don't branch out... Henri or Brennan would never do this.)

Well I was enraged because I love my kids and OF COURSE I want them to know Jesus. No brainer. The book was implying otherwise. It used words like never. (I added in the margin not true ha, oh I showed him.)

I prayed and said God is this true of Young Life. Show me the truth. What would make this man write this? I knew he was wrong, but wanted to bring it before God to see if there was any truth to what he said. 

You can't label every leader in a huge organization. It's easy to throw stones from afar. It was heart breaking for me to read and very discouraging. That someone is writing a book to connect me & my kids to Jesus- yet, discrediting the ministry I'm involved with. WHAT?! I know he has a good heart & probably didn't realize how potentially harmful his words could be, but it totally bummed me out.

BUT I do this too. I'm just as guilty. I judge those super-churches and label them as I see them. There is denominations I'm not a fan of. How terrible. I have no problem making fun of them. 

We are on the same team people. It may look different. At the end of the day though we all want to love God & love people then why does it matter what church you go to. Jesus is all that matters & He speaks to us in different ways. I realized my little remarks could hurt someone who was truly trying to serve the Lord by labeling a church. You can never judge a person by such a huge organization. We are not God, we do not know people's hearts & are called not to judge. That is up to God. Each church and ministry has amazing people and people who are ... uhhh... not so amazing because it's life & it's messy. It is not black and white. We live in the gray.

As Christians we should be working together not tearing each other down. I was really sad to read this in my book, but even more sad to know I do it too. I'm apart of the problem. 

I'm sure we all have people we just think are wrong. (Other religions, politics, whatever it may be). It's human nature. I challenge you to look beyond the labels and see the hearts. 

Let's be careful with our words. Let's use our words & lives to bring unity in the church & our communities. Let us realize how quickly our words can bring disunity. You can't take back the things you say. Let's use our words to build each other up instead of tearing others down.


Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? 
Any comfort from his love? 
Any fellowship together in the Spirit? 
Are your hearts tender and compassionate?   
Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose. 
Philippians 2:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment